After the launch of the Alpe d’Huez Triathlon’s online boutique, another new feature will liven up the fall season. In 2021, a free shuttle will be available for Triathlon L participants and their supporters to reach Lac du Verney for the start of the race (and then bring them back to Alpe d’Huez!). With the increase in participation, the introduction of this service became an obvious solution!
Free buses departing from Alpe d’Huez will allow the participants and anyone wishing to experience the extraordinary atmosphere of the start to go down to the Lac du Verney. Once the last participant is out of the water, the buses make the return trip for the public. These shuttles only carry passengers with their bags: NO BICYCLES WILL BE ALLOWED ON BOARD. For this reason, the T1 bike park at the start of the swim will be open from Wednesday afternoon.
This service is in place for the Triathlon L only.
The advantages of this service:
– Responds to the need expressed by a large number of participants which was confirmed by the results of the participant survey conducted at the beginning of 2020.
– Allows families and friends to be involved in the exciting race start and cheer on the triathletes before the cycling section (inaccessible to the public – it is forbidden to follow the competitors). The atmosphere will be spectacular!
– Offers a more ‘comfortable’ option to triathletes who don’t want to cycle down from Alpe d’Huez or suffer the stress of pre-race preparations on D-Day.
– Simplifies and eases check-in on race day.
The check-in on Wednesday 28th July:
It is an option, not an obligation! Athletes wishing to check-in on Wednesday and take the bus the next morning have the possibility to drop off their bikes between 3pm and 6pm. To do so, these participants must have collected their bib beforehand and have prepared their equipment (helmet and bike) to pass the control at the entrance of the bike park. Attention: no shuttle is planned between the Lac du Verney and Alpe d’Huez on Wednesdays.
Triathletes will always have the opportunity to check-in as usual on the morning of the race.
Schedules and meeting points:
– Bib delivery times: consult the program
– Wednesday, July 28th / Check-in: 15.00 to 18.00 at Lac du Verney T1
– Thursday, July 29th – Shuttle bus departure :
- between 7.00 and 7.30 am parking ‘Les Bergers’ to the bike park (T1) at the Lac du Verney
- between 7.00 and 7.45 parking of the Casino supermarket in Bourg d’Oisans
– Thursday, July 29th – Return of the shuttles to Alpe d’Huez for the public :
- Between 11.00 and 11.30 am parking du Lac du Verney (T1)
Participants and their friends and family do not need to book and will not be controlled when boarding the shuttles. However, each participant will have to indicate his or her intention or no intention to use the service and the number of people who will accompany him or her on board, during the registration process (or data revalidation for 2020 registrants who have requested a transfer to 2021). The organization is counting on the seriousness and complicity of each participant to adapt this new service to the demand!